Dublin on Sunday

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Percy Sledgehammer
Senior

Dublin on Sunday

Post by Percy Sledgehammer »

This game should have been played in Tubber, but never mind ..... :)

Westmeath aren't going to win anything up in Castlebar, much less by any kind of margin. I think we should be trying things out this week. Here's the team I'd pick:

Kelly
Froggy
Rafferty
Grennan
Mooney
Brady
Keane
Grennan
Daly
Hunt
McManus
Kiely
Quinn
Reynolds
Egan

I know it would be good to keep winning, but most of our subs have got feck all games so far - if we got any injuries in the FB or FF lines we'd be rightly banjaxed.

I'd love to try out someone else for Quinn's role in case of the worst, but I can't really think of anyone who could do it. Mark Daly would be the closest, and that's a loose fit at best.

The Biff
All Star

When we worried about "The Dubs" coming to town

Post by The Biff »

I'll really show my age now, but anyone remember the bad old days of the 70's when Heffo's Army had an unfriendly reputation? There were various stories of small groups of Dublin "supporters" who left a trail of destruction in some Irish towns after the Dublin team came visiting for games. I remember a real sense of fear on a couple of occasions when Dublin came to Tullamore and my parents positively discouraging me from considering going to those games.

Then, possibly the ultimate "rural legend" that on the last such occasion, the Dublin Bully-Boys were confronted by a gang of Rahan's finest. I think this stand-off began in the Bridge House. The story went that the Dubs were unceremoniously ushered out onto the street and basically "beat up" over Kilbeggan Bridge and out past the Hospital, and told never to return.

I distinctly remember this story doing the rounds, and being credited with saving the country from this travelling scourge. It was from then on that the Dublin followers managed to rid themselves of this element and are now considered in as good a light as any other county.

Tell me I'm not the only one who remembers those stories? Please! :wink:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd be dubious about the Biff's story...but I'd be quite willing to run with it.
Tell them enough times and they become accepted history.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

The Aftermath

Post by Lone Shark »

Didn't get around to this yesterday, so apologies for the sluggishness.

It's a rare thing, but I do genuinely believe we saw a very disinterested Offaly yesterday. I've seen teams play badly before, but Offaly yesterday as a rule stood off, and didn't bust themselves nearly enough to try and pick up loose men, and paid the price. I could be being optimistic, but it's not like us to let teams play football against us. Mayo cut through us by some great off the shoulder running and some fine passing play, but Dublin always had a simple option available, and in a lot of cases it was just poor marking, which is too basic for it not to be remedied for the championship. At least you would hope so .... :roll:

The big thing I took from this is that our system falls down completely in the absence of Colm Quinn. Mark Daly tried to play his role, and was abysmal. The ball into the forwards was cat, and generally play around midfield was headless.

Anyway, player by player:

Podge: One good save, largely good kickouts and wasn't at fault for the goal. Nothing more he could do. Long odds on to start in Navan now.

Froggie: Back to his best. Was in control all day, although Tomás Quinn really gives Dublin very little from open play. Bigger tests will come, but this was the first time in years I've been genuinely impressed with him.

Conor Ev: Fine display, without resorting to fouling. Still isn't all star material, and a lot of the ball Dublin played in suited him down to the ground, but couldn't be faulted.

Shane Sul: Very poor game, hot on the heels of getting exposed at wing back in Donegal, he won't be in the best of humour this week. Lost his footing leading to the goal, and a couple more mistakes cost points. If it was championship you'd hope he'd have been switched, but with Kilmurray you never know.

Slatts: Welcome back lad. Offaly's man of the match, and one of the few who looked like he wanted it. Excellent performance.

Brady: For weeks I held out saying he shouldn't be centre back because of his indiscipline, and then last week I relented, so he goes and swings a punch, for which he should have got a straight red - referee chickened out by giving him a yellow as far as I can tell. Still wasn't authoritive enough for my liking in general play, and that kind of petulance would lose us a championship game if he started that kind of rubbish. Needs to sort his head out in a big way, although the truth is Kilmurray will still hide his head in the sand and talk about yellow cards destroying the game.

Nigel Grennan: He's just not a back. Worked hard, scored a very nice point, but every time he got the ball close to his own goals he hurried himself and often gave it away. Was too easily turned and sold as well. I like him as a footballer, but either give him a forward berth or pick someone else.

Mad Mac: Back to his absolute best last week, he was once again at his most headless this week. Gave away a lot of ball, missed the penalty, and had one pop at the goals from about 30 yards out which was utterly comical it was so ambitious. Shane Ryan once he came on showed him up in a big way. You'd assume this week was an aberration based on the league form so far.

Super: This tendency to look for his brother with the ball all the time is getting annoying. One of his poorer displays, and one of the players who has a lot to answer for after this display.

Neville: Typically busy display, and persevered well for the goal. Playing consistently well again.

Mark Daly: I honestly think he played his way out of the championship team with this display. Others were lethargic, as was he, but he really looked lost out there. Was attempting to take on a lot more of the playmaking in the absence of Colm Quinn. Holy Christ but he was woeful. Gave the ball away repeatedly, failed to track, and had a couple of attempts at points that failed to reach the 13m line. Based on this, Clara should drop him, never mind Offaly.

Shaper: The wee lad has become very peripheral as the league has gone on, to the point where he's really not contributing very much. He's drifting too far out the pitch at times to be an offensive threat, and while he continues to be whole hearted and committed, you begin to wonder is he just in the unfortunate position of being our third best player for the two inside slots, and is being accommodated where he doesn't belong.

Roy: All the dexterity of a hippo playing table tennis, but his running, ball winning and ability to draw fouls is still worthy. As discussed elsewhere, probably more of an impact sub than a starter, but if he had to start a game I for one wouldn't worry about him.

Niall: Glorious goal, proving why we can't drop him. You still get the feeling that we're not going to see the best of him this year, and that the hard ground won't help his injury.

Jimmy Paw: Was very well marshalled by Griffin throughout the game. Took the two chances from frees that he got, but wasn't given a sniff outside of that. Better delivery in would have helped him, or the Super looking to anywhere other than the brother on occasion, but it's hard to blame him. Shouldn't have been taken off when we need a goal though.

Substitutes

Jimmy Grennan: We need this man fit. Fielded the first two balls on arrival, and gave us a presence around the middle that we lacked. Still didn't look hugely mobile though. If he gets back to his best we've unlimited potential though.

John Kenny: Somebody somewhere decided this man was a forward four or five years ago. I still don't see it.

Ger Rafferty: Came on for Brady when Offaly were pushing forward. Didn't get a chance to do a whole lot, but didn't do anything wrong either.

Damien Hunt: Only came on for five minutes and still looked right at home. Scored the best point we got all day, and certainly Kilmurray will be a bit quicker to look towards him the next time.