Great win in Donegal

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Great win in Donegal

Post by Lone Shark »

Have to hold my hand up and say that the trip here was a little much for my blood. The option of a full day's sleep and lots of Easter Egg eating was just too much to turn down.

By all accounts an excellent performance, with only the usual stuff about too many wides darkening the day. Still, it's great to see them come out on the right side of a one point game for a change - it's a long time since that's happened.

Main thing now is to maintain concentration - I can't see Westmeath pulling off any shocks in Castlebar, but all the same you don't want them going in at half time up there knowing they have a sniff.

Anyway, a good win next week will leave them in fairly confident form and progressing nicely for the first gae in the championship, which is after all the main aim.

So for that alone, kudos to management and players alike. Well done lads.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

All's well that ends well!
Great to steal it in injury time.
I know that in sport "deserve" is a word losers use, but it would have been totally unjust if we'd got relegated.

2 spineless performances from Wastemeath have really wrecked their point differences. Offaly never lay down in the same way and have yielded the benefits.

We just have to keep it together against the Dubs. Maybe try a couple of different players too.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Bord na Mona man wrote:We just have to keep it together against the Dubs. Maybe try a couple of different players too.
I'd say that there'd be a lot of merit going into the summer with three games unbeaten. Much and all as I'd like to see others tried, I'd say realistically there's only one or two spots left up for grabs now, so maybe give Niall a rest, try to give the likes of Jim Grennan and maybe Thomas Deehan a run, and otherwise keep the momentum going.

The last round of the league has a habit of throwing up odd results too. I don't like Westmeath's chances at all, but I'd hate to be going in at half time five or six down and Westmeath to be still in with a shout. Make sure the hoors go out at the start of the second half with rocks in their stomachs and take another hammering.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Imagine it! Offaly and Dublin play an evenly balanced first half, the main difference being a couple of quick goals by the Dubs. Half time score 2-6 to 0-5.
News filters through that Wastemeath are beating an understrength (well they'd have to be) Mayo by 1-07 to 0-5.

Suddenly we're clinging onto Division 1 by a couple of points. It would be a long 35 minutes.