lack of fowards on the bench

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the rat
All Star

lack of fowards on the bench

Post by the rat »

what is the story with the offaly panel? there was only 1 foward on the bench against cork( malone). i heard someone saying kelleghan was dropped, and kenny was injured. but was the point of bringing on jimmy keane in the fowards? hes a half back. where were david egan and thomas deehan?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I presume there'll be a vacancy on the panel now that Pascal's gone?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Forwards

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say that a large part of why we don't have more forwards on the bench is that Grennan excepted, all our midfielders are of the attacking variety, and could easily play as half forwards. Where I see an issue is for other real inside forwards to take over if the Niall and Jimmy inside line is not firing.

In the absence of Paschal, I'd say your options are (1) David Egan, (2) Deehan, or as an outside bet, (3) Alan Mulhall. Personally I think he's not even close to fast enough to play as part of a two man line, but he is accurate, so there's a lot to be said for that. Niall being out against Mayo showed up how stuck we are if one of the two boys are unavailable.

minor
Senior

Forwards

Post by minor »

John Kenny Broke his nose versus Tyrone but should be back this weekend.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

John Kenny

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say Johnny is more of an auxilliary "around the middle" kind of guy as well. He's not really a forward in the truest sense of the word either.

I've said it plenty before, and it probably comes across as nagging now, but I still couldn't have him in a championship team, he's just not fast enough to track centre backs running at you and casuing breaks. As Tom Kelly will.