Offaly vs Cork - A point gained or a point lost?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly vs Cork - A point gained or a point lost?

Post by Bord na Mona man »

What's the feeling about yesterday's match?

Given the kind of matches we've gotten used to narrowly losing, we'll take this one.
It's great to finally have an Offaly football team make a comeback and not ultimately come away empty handed.

With how other results have gone, we could nearly guarantee staying up with a win over Donegal.

We should have won it though...we looked odds on to lose it too!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Yesterday.

Post by Lone Shark »

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed yesterdays game - good scoring, drama, and a tense finish where we didn't get the customary kick in the teeth. Twas quite championship-like in it's own way.

Regarding the match itself, I'm a little all over the place. There's the good points - we played very well against the wind, took some great scores, and again I though the play was generally quite intelligent. Against that we still conceded 16 points, kicked 14 wides, and Nicholas Murphy absolutely took us to pieces while he was on the field - although Grennan at least contained him to a degree when he came on.

I'm genuinely beginning to worry about our teams ability to win a close game - it's just not happening. There is serious ability in the side, but I can't remember the last time we won by one or two points, (Carlow last year I think, which in itself wouldn't be regarded as a great result) while there are plenty of losses by those margins in the last few years, at all levels.

Regarding the match, I think we were a little better at not charging in like wounded bulls on top of the inside forwards, and truth be told Cork's two goals came from one hand to hand that wasn't called, and another very lucky bounce. Equally on another day Brady's "point" might have been given, so things could be very different.