football team 05 for championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the rat
All Star

football team 05 for championship

Post by the rat »

offaly football team 05.
1.mcnamra.2.daly.3.evans.4.sullivan.5.mooney.6.brady.7.slattery.8.a.mcnamee.9.mcmanus.10.n.coughlan.11.m.daly.12.reynolds.13.c.quinn.14.n.mcnamee.15.j.coughlan

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Offaly 05

Post by Lone Shark »

I think most people are coming to a conclusion along those lines. I never doubted Brady's ability to play centre back, it's his ability to not get sent off that worries me.

Regarding Froggy, I have one question - on what form are you picking him over Keane in the backs? (Or Casey, or Rafferty for that matter?) That he was a class defender is not in doubt - I haven't seen a single game from him in the last two years, club or county, that would suggest he should get picked now.

Percy Sledgehammer
Senior

Grennan?

Post by Percy Sledgehammer »

Garvan and Clancy would have a field day against that midfield. You may get Jim Grennan in there somewhere, certainly once this yellow card bollix is over and done with, never to be seen again.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

i would have cathal daly corner back for his experience. nigel grennan has been playin well there, but he is not a natural defender, he is more suited to playing in the fowards. james keane has shown great promise, but he is very young.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Froggy

Post by Lone Shark »

This is going to come across as facetious, but I assure you it's not meant to be - but if experience were the only criterion, we'd bring back Paddy McCormack.

Over the last two years Cathal has been slow, he's looked out of his depth on the 45, and he doesn't get the hand in enough to spoil good corner forwards.

Then on top of all that you have the questionable coincidence of how in every game where he's struggling he tends to get "injured" and come off. Championship defeats in Limerick and Wexford in particular come to mind - and that's not to mention last years annihalation of Tullamore by Rhode where he just hid. He did not want to know.

Froggie was a great corner back 5-10 years ago, but I've seen nothing in the last two years to say he's still able for the highest level. He needs to prove it in a league match against a top quality opponent before he's a contender, or at least before he should be.