Niall Mac's "injury"

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Niall Mac's "injury"

Post by Lone Shark »

Does anyone know anything about this?

I'm hearing all sorts of different stories, including one reference on H*******d of him being out for 6 weeks. Now I was at the game in KK when he went off, and while it looked dodgy, the lads on the bench at the time reckoned he was fine.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for him to get a rest from the seniors for a while, but this is a big blow for the U-21's if it is the case.

Anybody know anything concrete?

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

I have heard two stories from Rhode people in the last couple of days. One told me that he has a groin problem and that the goal is to get him to the end of the season before he needs an operation. Obviously this would mean playing him in as few games as possible between now and then.

Another person told me that he has torn his hamstring since the Kilkenny game. Not sure about the reliability of the second source but it is hardly the kind of thing you would make up. The groin problem is definite however and he is supposed to be suffering a lot with it.

Lone Shark
All Star

Niall

Post by Lone Shark »

It's an awful long way between now and the end of the year to be thinking like that.

Whatever about the hamstring, when do people think this operation will happen? Now, when the U-21's are missing their key forward? In the Summer, when Kilmurray will need him for Offaly? In the Autumn, when Rhode's campaign kicks into gear? Or into the winter, when in all likelihood Rhode will have a club championship campaign in Leinster?

Speaking as someone who has a decent sized investment in our U-21's, it pains me to say it but this should be done now. He's a huge loss, but if he's carrying another injury anyway, this way at least he'll have some time to get the healing process underway. He looks like being our best forward for years, somebody has to think long term on this. He won't thank anyone when he ends up pulling up unable to continue on hard summer pitches anyway.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

We faced the same dilemna back in 1982 when Richie Connor was carrying an injury that needed operating on, sooner or later.
The decision was taken to operate straight away. Connor was back in time for the end of the championship, the rest is history.
Should we do the same for Niall Mc?
I'd guess he'd be out for a longish spell and mightn't be sharp for championship.

Then you have the example of Beano McDonald from Leix.
He needed a groin operation last year, but had it deferred and played on. Anyone who watched him could see he looked very immobile and waddled around the place. His lack of mobility may have been a contributory factor in the serious leg break he suffered.

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

I would imagine that the goal is to get him to the end of the inter-county season and then let Rhode worry about him. I have to agree though that it is practically impossible to send him for an operation at an oppurtune time.

Lone Shark
All Star

y

Post by Lone Shark »

My main concern would be that if the county tries to milk the whole year out of him, we get Niall operating at 70% all year, Rhode go ahead and have a good year without him, UCD try to get him to put it off just till after the Sigerson, and we get him back next March in the same situation he is now.

For his sake, he's always going to miss football no matter what time of the year he's out - it makes sense to just ensure that when he is playing he's playing like he can.

Muck Savage
All Star

U21

Post by Muck Savage »

I really think they sould hang in there a bit with him first. Groin injuries are a though thing to fix but they should see how things go with the U21's first over the next few weeks. I think they should rule him out for the Senior this year. It's very important that the U21 do well this year and if you could have him in for 15 mins in a game I think it would be a great help.

The Biff
All Star

U21

Post by The Biff »

I would never like to suggest that crucial surgery should be delayed just to suit a ball game. That's when we have to remember that these lads are amateurs (and young ones at that) and there are more important considerations that should decide when the right medical assistance is applied.

Despite this, when it comes to prioritising participation in the U21 or Senior squads, in this particular year I would tend to give the nod to the U21s. We accept that we have our strongest team at this level for many years, and Niall will have many more years at Senior level ahead of him.

So as long as his long term health and fitness are not jeopardised and Niall himself is happy to play in the short term, then I'd say he could give the U21s a run. He would be a huge loss to any team, but better a short term loss than a long term one.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

"Despite this, when it comes to prioritising participation in the U21 or Senior squads, in this particular year I would tend to give the nod to the U21s. We accept that we have our strongest team at this level for many years, and Niall will have many more years at Senior level ahead of him. "

I would have thought that the hamstring tear renders all that irrelevant? He'll miss at least the next two games (if we get 2!!), and that doesn't leave much.

Anyway I can't see Kilmurray coming to that conclusion. Avoiding relegation might be a bigger priority to him. Much and all as you'd like to believe we'll beat Mayo and Cork and have the last two games to experiment, it probably won't be that simple ....