RTE team of the Sunday game era

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Post Reply
hamstrings
Junior A
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:05 pm

RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by hamstrings » Mon May 11, 2020 11:10 am

Rte haven't been kind to offaly in both grades with their nominations for each sector of the field, the poll is conducted on Rte GAA Twitter account.
Basically a vote on the best team of Sunday game era both codes and rte give the list of players to vote on ,up to 30+ names per area of the field.

Teams with no all Ireland's or even provincial success are getting more nominations than offaly in some parts like Tipperary have more nominations for football full forward line while we just have matt connor on the list for voting
Same with hurling Waterford always have about 4 to 5 per sector while we have a max 2 players to vote for per sector, full back line half back line etc
Not saying we should have a hape of players on the team but surely more offaly players should have been included to vote on.
Just wondering did anyone else see it?

User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Posts: 3555
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am
Club: Clara

Re: RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by Bord na Mona man » Sun May 17, 2020 10:17 pm

A lot of this involves token nominations to cover all counties. Another caveat is that they have to have won an All Star.
For example, Karl O'Dwyer is there as the Kildare rep but you would never pick him ahead of Peter Brady, Niall McNamee or Brendan Lowry. However Lowry is the only one of those three to have won an All Star.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2020/ ... l-forward/

Liam2020
Junior A
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:38 pm
Club: Kinnity

Re: RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by Liam2020 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:33 am

My all-star hurling team of that era would be
D Fitzhenry
JJ Delaney
B Lohan
M Hanamy
B Whelahan
S MC Mahon
T Walsh
J Fenton
M Coleman
Dj Carey
J Canning
H Shefflin
S Callanan
J B Murphy
T J Reid

biffinbanner
County player
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm
Club: ferbane

Re: RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by biffinbanner » Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 pm

surely eoin kelly has to be on ? and nicky english? hard fot them all on i suppose

greenairfield
All Star
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 pm
Club: birr

Re: RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by greenairfield » Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 am

Kelly was better than Callanan

oneshot
Intermediate
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Re: RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by oneshot » Wed May 20, 2020 6:21 pm

biffinbanner wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 pm
surely eoin kelly has to be on ? and nicky english? hard fot them all on i suppose
i was lucky enough to see Nicky English in action he has to be one of the best forwards that was in the game.

Liam2020
Junior A
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:38 pm
Club: Kinnity

Re: RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by Liam2020 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:22 pm

biffinbanner wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 pm
surely eoin kelly has to be on ? and nicky english? hard fot them all on i suppose
I felt Callahan performance in 2016 final earned him a spot. Eoin kelly John Mullane N English p Flynn lár Colbert Eddie Brennan and s ó leary were all competing for that one position on my team, as they other 5 forwards were automatic selections for me.
The only other position I struggled with was who to put alongside J Fenton in midfield, I went with M Coleman. K McGrath and B Corcoran didn't win an all star in midfield, so for me it was between F Cummins and M Coleman. Full back was also a struggle there were a number of options.
Love to see what team other would pick

jimbob17
All Star
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 am

Re: RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by jimbob17 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:46 pm

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:17 pm
A lot of this involves token nominations to cover all counties. Another caveat is that they have to have won an All Star.
For example, Karl O'Dwyer is there as the Kildare rep but you would never pick him ahead of Peter Brady, Niall McNamee or Brendan Lowry. However Lowry is the only one of those three to have won an All Star.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2020/ ... l-forward/
Wouldnt agree at all. Karl O Dwyer was outstanding as Kildare broke mould to reach All-Ireland final and won 2 leinsters and an All-Star.

That is more than McNamee and Brady combined. Yes they were very good club footballers - Niall was exceptional at club level, but I'd get it hard to say either were exceptional county players in championship over a period of time which is the criteria..... you are talking about a 40yr spread of time - and on that basis, neither merit that though I'd sense if Niall played on better county teams, he would be thought of higher around country...... Lowry is a different argument and should probably be there given what he did at top level....

As for Declan Browne, I saw him in action a few times and he was one of best players in country at time let alone Munster. He almost single handedly won provincial for Tipp but they were denied by a goal that was given and clearly wide against them - came off outside of back stanchion. He would have made any team in country at the time........

As for Quinlivan, similar level of talent to Niall Mc but has done it more consistently at inter county championship, won all-star and played in All Ireland semi final a few years ago.......

Not sure if Leighton Glynn Wicklow or David Tubridy Clare made the cut but they would be two that could have been considered also.....
jimbob

User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Posts: 3555
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am
Club: Clara

Re: RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by Bord na Mona man » Thu May 21, 2020 11:07 am

jimbob17 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:46 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:17 pm
A lot of this involves token nominations to cover all counties. Another caveat is that they have to have won an All Star.
For example, Karl O'Dwyer is there as the Kildare rep but you would never pick him ahead of Peter Brady, Niall McNamee or Brendan Lowry. However Lowry is the only one of those three to have won an All Star.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2020/ ... l-forward/
Wouldnt agree at all. Karl O Dwyer was outstanding as Kildare broke mould to reach All-Ireland final and won 2 leinsters and an All-Star.

That is more than McNamee and Brady combined. Yes they were very good club footballers - Niall was exceptional at club level, but I'd get it hard to say either were exceptional county players in championship over a period of time which is the criteria..... you are talking about a 40yr spread of time - and on that basis, neither merit that though I'd sense if Niall played on better county teams, he would be thought of higher around country...... Lowry is a different argument and should probably be there given what he did at top level....
If being exceptional over a period a time was a criteria, then O'Dwyer certainly wouldn't fit the bill. He was surplus to Kerry and as he approached 30 made the switch to Kildare. From 1998-2000 he played great, but he drifted away again very quickly.

If we measure players by trophies won by the team then Eoghan O'Gara is one of the kings of football!

User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Posts: 3555
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am
Club: Clara

Re: RTE team of the Sunday game era

Post by Bord na Mona man » Thu May 21, 2020 11:10 am

greenairfield wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 am
Kelly was better than Callanan
I'd have to agree. Kelly dragged Tipperary along for most of their lean years in the 00s. As good as Callanan is, he has a high functioning forward unit around him.

Post Reply