NFL Division 3 2019

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Re: NFL Division 3 2019

Postby pigeon house biffo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:29 pm

I think if you're looking at the Carlow game to get a result, objectively they have stronger players in key positions, Murphy in midfield, Broderick and St. ledger in particular. It will take a better performance than we've seen in a while to get the result we need here. Sligo away could reap some joy but apart from that it's hard to see where the wins will come from.
pigeon house biffo
Junior A
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am

Re: NFL Division 3 2019

Postby Bord na Mona man » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Unfortunately it looks like Offaly need to be 6 or 7 points the better team to close the deal and win such a game.
This has happened a few times in the last 4 years, where Offaly have been very much in the driving seat but completely retreated into their shell instead of pulling away.

John Maughan will be haunted by Mayo’s 1996 All Ireland loss to Meath where they conceded the last 6 points without reply in the drawn game.
I’m sure he has pondered many times how they could have averted this. He’ll need to put some of these ideas into practice now.

Some of it may be mental. Getting through to the players that in games where they’re winning by a margin, they’re clearly the better team and therefore shouldn’t be cowering before lesser opposition.

Some of it could be tactical strategies to stop a comeback – Set plays, kick out plans and time wasting strategies. There’s a the world of stuff you can do to reduce the ball in play time and frustrate an opposition.
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3505
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

Re: NFL Division 3 2019

Postby LooseCannon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Bord na Mona man wrote:Unfortunately it looks like Offaly need to be 6 or 7 points the better team to close the deal and win such a game.
This has happened a few times in the last 4 years, where Offaly have been very much in the driving seat but completely retreated into their shell instead of pulling away.

John Maughan will be haunted by Mayo’s 1996 All Ireland loss to Meath where they conceded the last 6 points without reply in the drawn game.
I’m sure he has pondered many times how they could have averted this. He’ll need to put some of these ideas into practice now.

Some of it may be mental. Getting through to the players that in games where they’re winning by a margin, they’re clearly the better team and therefore shouldn’t be cowering before lesser opposition.

Some of it could be tactical strategies to stop a comeback – Set plays, kick out plans and time wasting strategies. There’s a the world of stuff you can do to reduce the ball in play time and frustrate an opposition.

The last bit is what drove me mad at the Westmeath game. Two points on the bounce for Westmeath, their supporters making noise, they have momentum, we are more than happy to keep the pace of the game up. Someone should have went down and tied a lace or else a problem with the ‘contact lenses’.
A bit of cuteness in that situation can go a long way. Similarly when we have a team on the ropes, kill them. Be ruthless and relentless. Nice guys win nothing. Not saying that we’ve a team of nice guys or anything like it, but just look at Roscommon and what Anthony Cunningham has instilled in them, eye-gouging aside.
"The greatest one in a row in history."
LooseCannon
All Star
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am

Re: NFL Division 3 2019

Postby bracknaghboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:17 pm

LooseCannon wrote:Be ruthless and relentless. Nice guys win nothing. Not saying that we’ve a team of nice guys or anything like it, but just look at Roscommon and what Anthony Cunningham has instilled in them, eye-gouging aside.


Whens Mickey B due back? Just askin :lol: :lol: :lol:
bracknaghboy
All Star
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: NFL Division 3 2019

Postby pigeon house biffo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 pm

bracknaghboy wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:Be ruthless and relentless. Nice guys win nothing. Not saying that we’ve a team of nice guys or anything like it, but just look at Roscommon and what Anthony Cunningham has instilled in them, eye-gouging aside.


Whens Mickey B due back? Just askin :lol: :lol: :lol:


March/April. Is travelling at present.
pigeon house biffo
Junior A
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am

Previous

Return to Offaly GAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 23 guests

cron