Offaly Senior Hurlers Championship Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers Championship Thread

Post by Killeighman »

I don’t think we have seen the best from this Offaly team yet. Can’t fault the lads from 1-9 but the forward seem a bit off the pace or something is not right at times. I don’t know maybe the cohesion just is not there from lack of playing together over a number of years. When the forwards do click it will be frightening what they will do. Galway were good at the back and we know they are but Kilkenny are a fragile team at the back and we didn’t threaten enough which is disappointing. We started to get joy late on but was that because Kilkenny had taken the foot off the gas? This weekend I’d like to see Shane Kinsella at centre forward instead of Colin Egan. Shane is a player who will drive at a defence and is well able to take a score. Tommy Geraghty in around midfield and be his busy self. Bring on Saturday is all I have to say from now on!!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

This weekend is huge for Offaly. Wexford should have been much further ahead of Dublin at the end of the game. But Dublin should have beaten Kilkenny. At this moment in time I can't see Offaly beating either. Wexford s tough game will have brought them on. Dublin will be a full strength vs Offaly with keaney to come back in along with Eamon Dillion.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:If two teams are level on points, the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the group is used (ie head to head).

If three or more teams are level on points, score difference is used (subtracting the total scores against from the total score for.

If that is inconclusive, they use (i) highest total score for; then (ii) highest total goals for; then (iii) a playoff.

(the above taken from last Sunday's match programme.
kingscounty wrote:One question if 3 teams finish with 1 win each does it come down to score difference?
I have to say this is a rule that really bugs me. I'm all for the head to head when two teams are level on points but I really feel that if three teams are level it should go on the points difference in the games between those three teams rather than taking all games into account. The way it is now can really leave a relegation situation out of your hands.

A prime example of this happened in last year's Junior A hurling championship. We had the farcical situation where Shinrone, Ballinamere and Clodiagh Gaels (I think) all finished on the same number of points in their group but as Shamrocks had hurled one of them and given walkovers to the other two score difference could not be used so there to had to be a three way play off between the teams to see the order in which they finished in their group. (They all had qualified as No.1 went to semi and No. 2 and 3 went to Quarters). This left the teams in the other group at a serious disadvantage as they were waiting around for months for their knockout games (and in particular Kinnitty who had won the group and qualified directly to the semi-final).

All of this wouldn't have arisen if only score difference taken from the games between the three teams level on points was taken into consideration. I would be of the opinion though, if this was proposed at a County Convention someone's head would explode trying to figure it out.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Yeah I am slightly concerned I can see Davy runninng at us direct and then we could be in trouble around the half back line as we don't have much pace there.

Our midfield was shocking against kk both of them Kinsella has to be moved to the half forward line.

Other than Bergin and Dooley our other forwards have struggled but I cant see Martin making too many changes,as won't want to disturb things too much.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I can see the considerable merit in that proposal, Frank.
frankthetank wrote:I have to say this is a rule that really bugs me. I'm all for the head to head when two teams are level on points but I really feel that if three teams are level it should go on the points difference in the games between those three teams rather than taking all games into account. The way it is now can really leave a relegation situation out of your hands.

A prime example of this happened in last year's Junior A hurling championship. We had the farcical situation where Shinrone, Ballinamere and Clodiagh Gaels (I think) all finished on the same number of points in their group but as Shamrocks had hurled one of them and given walkovers to the other two score difference could not be used so there to had to be a three way play off between the teams to see the order in which they finished in their group. (They all had qualified as No.1 went to semi and No. 2 and 3 went to Quarters). This left the teams in the other group at a serious disadvantage as they were waiting around for months for their knockout games (and in particular Kinnitty who had won the group and qualified directly to the semi-final).

All of this wouldn't have arisen if only score difference taken from the games between the three teams level on points was taken into consideration. I would be of the opinion though, if this was proposed at a County Convention someone's head would explode trying to figure it out.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:It’s a free world and the choice is yours. That’s fine. And I’m not having a go at you here.

As for the bigger picture, like, there’s soccer on television every Saturday and Sunday - if you were to go arranging fixtures around soccer on television, nothing would ever be played. And there’s a world cup next month with two matches on television every day for a month. Where do you draw the line? There were two Munster hurling matches on television last Sunday and I don't recall hearing calls to move the Leinster hurling to avoid the clash.

Put the match on, people can make their choice. As it is this year, with a round robin in hurling and four matches in the space of 23 days, most people are going to choose one or two or three of those round robin games to go to. That showed in the Nowlan Park attendance last Sunday, 7k there when it was almost 12k at the same venue in 2014. Chances are, Saturday’s is the one Wexford fans might choose to forsake – they’ve Galway at home and Kilkenny at a nearby venue to come. So no one need cite soccer on television for a reduced attendance.

I think proposing a change to 5pm is a bit extreme. If pushed, I’d change to 6pm. The hurling would be over by 7.30pm, which is before the soccer starts. The Wexfords won’t be home in time anyway. And no one is going to make Kiev in time anyway.
ditchhurler wrote:Unfortunately the champions league final is going to hit the attendance for both sides. I went to the Galway’s game with 4 lads and none of us are going Saturday night as we want to watch the champions league. Sure the gaa could have moved it to 5 and played the Laois v Westmeath game as a double header with Carlow and Kildare on the Sunday. People watch more than one sport these days
I get the point that you are making Plain, but the hurling clashing with a champions league final involving Liverpool is definitely going to have a big impact on the crowd that will attend the hurling.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

Ok folks…so we get a penalty with the last puck of the game. We’re one point down.
What do we do?
Good Luck

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

It's pretty simple ask Cahill to hammer the ball in the net while Davy cries into his hands

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

LooseCannon wrote:Ok folks…so we get a penalty with the last puck of the game. We’re one point down.
What do we do?
Go for it.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Commence blasting operations without a second thought.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

On the basis that, if Offaly draw with Wexford, they still have to beat Dublin anyway, it's worth the chance. Go for the goal.
LooseCannon wrote:Ok folks…so we get a penalty with the last puck of the game. We’re one point down.
What do we do?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Go for goal.
We're aiming for 3rd place in the group.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A very different challenge for Offaly when Wexford come calling on Saturday. Not just because this is one Offaly will have targeted for a win, but because it is likely the opposition will look to hurl in top gear.

Plain to see Galway were in first gear, moving up a gear following the restart and quickly taking command. Kilkenny hurled in first gear throughout, with the exception of the five minutes each side of Offaly’s goal, when they stopped hurling altogether. Most unKilkenny like, and equally unCody like. One of the few joys of being on hurling’s basement floor – Opposition spare the tempest for another day and another opposition.

Wexford will look on their challenge from the view that they don’t have the luxury of first gear hurling. They need to win this – a win will confirm their place in July’s All-Ireland quarter-final at least, lose and progression from the group is out of their hands, and they still have to face Kilkenny and Galway.

Given the nature of Saturday’s match, Offaly’s big concern will be their ball handling. They hurled in jittery fashion against Kilkenny, spilling possession time and again, much of it unforced and under moderate pressure. Too many passing moves broke down, too many scoring opportunities were spurned, or not created at all, or turnovers led to scores at the other end. So many agonising ‘two point swings’.

What will the home side be like under severe pressure on Saturday, with Wexford crowding the midfield / half-forward line area? Training drills and matches can only prepare a team for so much – neither will replicate those instances of body tension, throughout, but particularly in the last ten minutes when you are holding onto a slender lead and the opposition have momentum. And Offaly supporters can be especially quick to vent their frustration at imperfect hurling.

Another issue is how Offaly will cope with Wexford’s complex game plan – coping with defenders running upfield, taking passes, driving on and taking shots at goal is not something that would come naturally to an Offaly hurler. Offaly aren’t blessed with pace anyway, though pace can only do so much when the fella in possession is running two yards ahead of you. Offaly need to hurl intelligently here, cover the runners and communicate with each other. It also puts an onus on hard work – Shaun Murphy’s distribution was poor when Wexford came under pressure last year, and he is worth targeting.

Still and all, Wexford do not score goals and are not set up to score goals. And a team who do not score goals will find it difficult to put teams away. Looking at the worst case scenario for a minute – suppose Wexford open with eight scores over say, 12 minutes. Arrears of 0-2 to 0-8 would still be manageable for Offaly, if they could force Wexford to puck out for a while, get the scoreboard ticking, and pounce for a goal themselves. An early deficit of 0-2 to 2-6 or the like would quickly fill a few Tullamore pubs for the soccer that night.

On a positive note, Offaly ARE capable of scoring goals. The (now) old firm of Dooley and Bergin look dangerous. Offaly should fire in a few high balls in their direction and see what happens. I’ve said it before a few times, but I like they ‘four half-forwards, two full-forwards’ formation. Other hand, if Offaly were to do that with Wexford playing an auxiliary full-back in Shaun Murphy, a breaking ball would put Offaly under pressure in a 2 v 3 situation. Safety in numbers when it’s 3 v 4.

Another positive note is that Offaly have stopped the rot of conceding large scores. Since 2012, Offaly have consistently shipped at least 25 points (white flags, and not including goals) to top class opposition. That Galway and Kilkenny raised 18 and 19 white flags is a relief. That Offaly didn’t have anyone sent off, or come even close to being sent off, is also positive. And Offaly need somehow, to get their own scoring tally up to about 18 points, with a couple of goals to top it off.

Interesting to see if Tom Spain will hold his place in defence. He wasn’t suited to Luke Scanlon, who is a nippy, mobile forward. If Wexford play with seven defenders, Offaly too will have a free man. Maybe Tom Spain marking Conor McDonald, with Ben Conneely shadowing the underrated Paul Morris would be the thing to do. Conor McDonald tends to turn in onto his left alot. Dermot Shortt did enough last Sunday to be preferred at square’s edge too.

Damien Egan was much improved against Kilkenny, looked much more assured. Pat Camon did well at centre half-back, while David O’Toole probably did enough against Kilkenny to get another day out. This line will have to deal with being pulled all over the field by Wexford’s movement. They’ll also have to deal with John and Rory O’Connor, and possibly Lee Chin too. Offaly’s half-back line will need cover from their midfielders, one of whom will have his hands, and mind, fully occupied with Lee Chin. Much of what Wexford do goes through Lee Chin. Yet, Wexford are as likely to hit 20 wides as ever they were.

Which leaves the midfield/half-forward lines. The engine room. Much as I’d like to see Joseph Bergin close to goal and alongside Shane, probably the optimum thing is for the Clareen man to line out at centre half-forward. In decent form, he is winning ball, and Offaly need a scoring threat from the 60 metre range. Conor Mahon’s strength and workrate will be needed. Coli Egan needs to make the ball stick. And needs a supporting colleague to take a quick pass.

Diarmuid O’Keeffe’s influence is a massive concern. Driving forward at every chance, he will need to be man marked and it will need a pacy and intelligent player, with a defender’s work rate, to do it. Maybe Thomas Geraghty, maybe even Paddy Delaney.

Offaly have trained and prepared all winter for this day. Hopefully they can do justice to the hard work. With Wexford focussed on the bigger picture (for them) of Kilkenny, or Galway, of the Leinster Final, of the All-Ireland quarter-final, Offaly’s focus on the 70 minutes between 7pm and 8.30pm might prove crucial.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for that POTH!

I think RTÉ needs to get you on the job.

The following is what they refer to as a 'preview'. I appreciate that they have more than one game to cover, can't examine every turn of the screw, and it isn't their job to sell the match but the following is barely worth the effort to put out online.

Preview: Offaly v Wexford
Friday, May 25, 2018

Saturday May 26

Leinster Senior Hurling Championship

Offaly v Wexford, Bord Na Mona O'Connor Park, 7pm

There has been nothing wrong with Offaly's attitude or application in the opening two rounds, but Kevin Martin's side still suffered defeats against Galway and Kilkenny.

Wexford, with Rory O'Connor and Harry Kehoe landing sweet late points, eventually shrugged off Dublin's spirited resistance last Sunday.

That was a hugely important win for Wexford, who will be wary of the threat Offaly could pose in Tullamore.

Martin has Offaly working hard for the Faithful cause, but if relegation is to be avoided they need to take a prized scalp.

Having made such progress in the past 18 months Wexford will want to put two more points in the account before matches with Galway and Kilkenny.

Anyway. Good luck to all involved. Give 'em a torrid time from start to finish. Really let them have it the last 10 minutes of the the first half and the first 10 minutes of the second.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

The Offaly Senior Hurling Team to play Wexford on Saturday at 7pm in Bord na Mona O’Connor Park in the 3rd Round of the Leinster Championship has been named.

The Team selection is a follows

1 Eoghan Cahill (Birr)

2 Paddy Delaney (Kinnitty)

3 Sean Gardiner (Lusmagh)

4 Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s)

5 Damien Egan (Belmont)

6 Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s)

7 David O’Toole Greene (Shamrocks)

8 Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)

9 David King (Coolderry)

10 Oisin Kelly (Belmont)

11 Colin Egan (Belmont)

12 Conor Mahon (Kilcormac/Killoughey)

13 Shane Dooley (Tullamore)

14 Joe Bergin (Seir Kieran)

15 Dan Currams (Kilcormac/Killoughey)

16 Conor Slevin (Kilcormac/Killoughey)

17 Brendan Murphy (Birr)

18 Kevin Dunne (Seir Kieran)

19 Dermot Shortt (St Rynagh’s)

20 Ronan Hughes (St Rynagh’s)

21 Paddy Rigney (Kinnitty)

22 Sean Ryan (Birr)

23 Peter Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey)

24 Tommy Geraghty (Kilcormac/Killoughey)

25 James Gorman (Kilcormac/Killoughey)

26 Paddy Murphy (Ballinamere)
Good Luck